Another Monday, another blockbuster edition of The Monitor, WIRED's roundup of all of pop culture's biggest news. What's happening this fine day? Welp, Captain Marvel did better at the box office than most people suspected. Also, Brian K. Vaughan has a new gig and there's a trailer for Olivia Wilde’s directorial debut Booksmart . Here's what you need to know to start the week.
Captain Marvel Goes Higher, Further, Faster to $455 Million Opening Weekend
Captain Marvel ’s box office numbers are in, and they're good—very, very good. Variety reports the film took in $455 million worldwide in its opening weekend for the sixth biggest global debut ever. That number includes the $153 million the film earned in North America, a figure that was well above projections for the film, which estimated it would bring in about $125 million in its first weekend.
Brian K. Vaughan Making a Mecha Movie
Brian K. Vaughan, the writer behind comics like Y: The Last Man and Saga , is now on the hook to write Gundam , a live-action adaptation of the mecha anime juggernaut. The film is a co-production of Legendary Entertainment and Sunrise, which created the Gundam franchise, and Vaughan is also executive producing.
You'll Probably Want to See Booksmart
Hey, do you enjoy raunchy coming-of-age comedies like Porky’s and Superbad ? Well then, you just might enjoy Booksmart . The directorial debut from Olivia Wilde is about two over-achieving best friends—played by Kaitlyn Denver and Lady Bird standout Beanie Feldstein—who decide to actually party now that they're graduating high school and heading off into their (presumably) over-achieving adult lives. Check out the first trailer for the film, which just debuted at South By Southwest, below. The film hits theaters May 24.
- Machine learning can use tweets to spot security flaws
- New to TikTok? Here's what you need to know
- How Amazon taught the Echo Auto to hear in a noisy car
- Hackers snoop on synthetic DNA machines
- Don't panic: Here's how to not fall for viral hoaxes
- 👀 Looking for the latest gadgets? Check out our latest buying guides and best deals all year round
- 📩 Want more? Sign up for our daily newsletter and never miss our latest and greatest stories