I've never been sure when the dog days of summer are, but where I live it's scorching. It sure feels like dog days. My dogs refuse to come out of the shade, does that count? Still, fall will come. Eventually. Right now we have some good deals on outdoor gear so you can stock up for those dreamy cool October weekends. The end of summer has always been the best time to buy hiking and climbing gear, and 2020 is no different, Covid-19 or not.
More of an indoors person? That's OK. There are a lot of deals on laptops, phones, robot vacuums—even a counter-top garden setup. Everything you need to stay comfortably entertained in an air-conditioned bubble, including the headphone and cleaning supplies deals we rounded up earlier this week.
If you buy something using links in our stories, we may earn a commission. This helps support our journalism. Learn more . Please also consider subscribing to WIRED .
Outdoor enthusiasts, it's that time of year. Backcountry kicks off its annual end of summer sale this weekend with some good deals for those looking at using gear for 2021, or, for those us who've been indoors waiting until the fall.
- Alps Mountaineering Highlands 2 Two-Person Four-Season Tent for $245 ($105 off): This spacious two-person tent is good for any season. At 7 pounds it's not the lightest, but split between two hikers it's doable and provides plenty of room for two, plus gear.
- Gregory Stout 30L Backpack for $110 ($20 off): It's not a huge discount, but this pack is incredibly comfortable at any price. I own and love a slightly larger version that's my go-to pack for hiking, climbing, and traveling.
The North Face Borealis 28L Backpack for $53 ($36 off): This sale is only available for select colors. The backpack is aimed more at commuters and college students, but if you're looking for something that's versatile enough for a day hike and a commute, this fits the bill.
- Deuter Speed Lite 12L pack for $51 ($9 off): I have a slightly larger Deuter day pack and the suspension system is so comfortable, I regularly load it down with way more than the recommend weight and have yet to have a problem.
- Women's Chaco Z/Cloud Sandal for $71+ (Up to $38 off: Chaco's Z/Cloud sandals are great for everyday wear, and they're considerably softer to walk in than traditional Chacos. The price varies by size and color. The men's Chaco Z/2 classic—which has a toe strap—are also on sale in specific color and size variants.
Timbuk2 Classic 9 Messenger Bag for $51+ (Up to $28 off): It's called the classic for a reason. There was a time when this seemed like the only shoulder bag you saw out and about, and for good reason. It's well-made, comfortable, and dare we say, handsome? The discount is only available for certain sizes and colors.
- Black Diamond Climbing Gear (15 to 50 percent off): There's too much here to call out individually, but if you need some new Black Diamond cams, helmets, harnesses, carabiners, or any other climbing gear it's all on sale.
Tech and Countertop Gardens Deals