The palm-sized gadget is on sale for just $1 if you let Amazon also sign you up for Music Unlimited, which costs $8 per month. You end up paying just $9 for the speaker, which is much cheaper than its usual price of $50, and lower than the $25 price we usually see it going for during major Amazon sales. Plus, with this deal, you get a streaming music service along with it.The Echo Dot 3rd-Generation Speaker costs $9 ($41 off) at Amazon
What Amazon Might Want With Boost Mobile
Note: When you buy something using the retail links in our stories, we may earn a small affiliate commission. Read more about how this works.
Amazon Music Unlimited lets the Echo Dot play virtually any song, like a Spotify or Pandora subscription—two services that are also compatible with Alexa. If you get tired of asking Alexa to stream songs for you, the Echo Dot also has Bluetooth capability, so you can pair it with your phone or laptop.Amazon's Alexa voice assistant lets you check the weather, set timers, make calls, and create alarms, and it can learn other Skills. Many Skills are gimmicky (see Skyrim: Very Special Edition), but there are some useful ones. This year Amazon rolled out Alexa Guard. When enabled, it has Alexa listen for sounds like breaking glass and smoke detectors while you're away from home, which could provide either peace of mind or a healthy dose of paranoia, depending on your personality.If you're wary about giving Amazon a way to eavesdrop on your household, you can press the Mute button to disconnect the microphones, and there are other steps you can take to protect your privacy .
The Fine Print
This is an excellent price, but there is some fine print you should know about.
- Prime members only: The Amazon Music Unlimited promotion is only up for grabs if you're a Prime member. There is a free 30-day trial available. Otherwise Amazon Prime costs about $10 per month if you purchase a whole year at once. Students with valid .edu email addresses could opt for a complimentary six-month trial instead.
- New Music Unlimited subs only: It's also only available to new Amazon Music Unlimited subscribers, so if you've given the service a shot before, move along; this deal isn't for you.
- The untold story of Olympic Destroyer, the most deceptive hack in history
- The delicate ethics of using facial recognition in schools
- The quiet, intentional fires that shape Northern California
- Massive, AI-powered robots are 3D-printing entire rockets
- USB-C has finally come into its own
- 👁 Prepare for the deepfake era of video ; plus, check out the latest news on AI
- 🏃🏽♀️ Want the best tools to get healthy? Check out our Gear team’s picks for the best fitness trackers , running gear (including shoes and socks ), and best headphones .