And there's more! Every Saturday we round up the security and privacy stories that we didn’t break or report on in depth but which we think you should know about nonetheless. Click on the headlines to read them, and stay safe out there.Google and Amazon use humans as well . But Apple's self-professed roll as a privacy protector has made the revelation that much more cutting. As with Google and Amazon, the company says it will let people opt out of the grading system in a future software update—or hopefully, make it opt-in.BleepingComputer calls it. It still has millions of users, though, who were left exposed when hackers found a backdoor apparently put in place by a disgruntled administrator. The intruders got away with info for over 4 million accounts, and 2.9 million IP address logs. The admin in question denies the allegations, and honestly it's just a lot of drama for not even being the real Club Penguin.the United Arab Emirates and Egypt, where two marketing firms operated hundreds of bogus accounts and Pages pushing various political stances. Facebook also axed hundreds of inauthentic pages originating from Saudi Arabia that promoted crown prince Mohammad bin Salman's agenda, while smearing Saudi neighbors as well as Al-Jazeera and Amnesty International.the New York Police Department's facial recognition database includes teenagers and children as young as 11. It's yet another example of facial recognition's rampant expansion with little oversight; several NYC city council members were unaware of the practice. Experts criticized the practice on a technological level as well, given that facial recognition algorithms are already unreliable at best, and even more so when applied to young faces that can change substantially over the course of a few years.
- How scientists built a “living drug” to beat cancer
- Big banks could soon jump on the quantum bandwagon
- The terrible anxiety of location sharing apps
- Now even funerals are livestreamed
- These hackers made an app that kills to prove a point
- 🏃🏽♀️ Want the best tools to get healthy? Check out our Gear team’s picks for the best fitness trackers , running gear (including shoes and socks ), and best headphones .
- 📩 Get even more of our inside scoops with our weekly Backchannel newsletter