Hello and congratulations on surviving the Battle of Winterfell! (Don't worry, we'll get to Game of Thrones soon enough.) This is, of course, the latest edition of The Monitor , WIRED's roundup of all the biggest pop culture news. What's in store? Well, for one, Avengers: Endgame did even better at the box office than anyone expected—and people expected a lot. Also, Twitter got really excited about everything going down in Westeros last night. Let's get into it.
Avengers: Endgame Just $1.2 Billion. Yes, Billion
As expected, Marvel's latest movie broke nearly every box office record imaginable this past weekend, bringing in some $350 in North America and $1.2 billion total worldwide. Avengers: Endgame, which was initially projected to make between $850 million and $900 million, ended up accounting for at least four out of every five tickets sold in the US over the weekend. The movie now holds the record for the largest worldwide opening and biggest North American opening. It is also the fastest movie ever to make $1 billion, hitting that total in just five days.
There Were 7.8 Million Tweets About Game of Thrones Last Night
According to Twitter, approximately 7.8 million tweets sent about last night's Battle of Winterfell episode of Game of Thrones. The most tweeted about characters were, in order: Arya, Night King, Bran, Jon Snow, and Cersei. Twitter also updated the #Arya, #AryaStark, and #TheNorthRemembers hashtags to include Arya's now-iconic weapon.
Netflix Picks Up Korean Fantasy Show Arthday Chronicles
Netflix has another show in its coffers: Arthdal Chronicles. The Korean fantasy series, according to The Hollywood Reporter, focuses on "tribal loyalty and power struggles in the mythical land of Arth, as it depicts the birth of civilization and nations in ancient times." The show airs starting on June 1 in Korea on the tvN network and will launch on Netflix in June as well.
- “If you want to kill someone, we are the right guys ”
- The best speed climbers dash up walls with this move
- Everything you need to know about open source software
- Kitty Hawk, flying cars, and the challenges of “going 3D”
- Tristan Harris vows to fight “human downgrading ”
- 🏃🏽♀️ Want the best tools to get healthy? Check out our Gear team's picks for the best fitness trackers , running gear (including shoes and socks ), and best headphones .
- 📩 Get even more of our inside scoops with our weekly Backchannel newsletter