Jason Parham is a senior writer for WIRED. Depth of Field is his weekly dispatch about culture's most searing current images.One thing I can say with absolute, irrefutable certainty: Game of Thrones, like most sweeping TV experiments born of the prestige era, was fated for a doomed endpoint. You had expectations, and I get it. But guess what? Expectations are like organic sesame rice cakes—good in theory but seldom nourishing. History is a formidable teacher: The Sopranos ended in a confusing blink and The Wire's last season proved its most bizarre. Despite the fantasy drama's cultural tentpole status (several friends assured me it was the Greatest Show of Our Generation™, and that I was missing out), the messy, imprecise calculus of modern fandom demands, more and more, that we contend with the now, that sometimes the legacy of a person or show or sports franchise does not outweigh its most recent, if final, iteration (for better and worse, factors greatly into this).Today, fandom is fueled by our most influential hysteria machines (not counting Fox News): Twitter, Reddit, YouTube. Collectively, they suggest we live in the now, with the now, only now. Watching Twitter throw a communal fit over the GoT finale registered as such. Perhaps a finale is an impossibly high bar for a show, but it is a reflection of its onlookers, perhaps at their most honest, one meant to bottle viewers's hopes, to shock them, to mirror back—in its mountaintop triumph or spiraling failure—the truest nature of those who call themselves believers.
- WIRED StaffGame of Thrones' Biggest Losers Were the Fans
- Laura HudsonGame of Thrones Recap: The Endings We Choose to Believe
- Emily Dreyfuss
The Case Against Watching the Rest of Game of Thrones
- Inside the hybrid digital-analog lives of children
- The Chernobyl disaster may have also built a paradise
- Inside China's massive surveillance operation
- Bluetooth's complexity has become a security risk
- I'm mad as hell about Square's shady automatic emails
- 🏃🏽♀️ Want the best tools to get healthy? Check out our Gear team's picks for the best fitness trackers , running gear (including shoes and socks ), and best headphones .
- 📩 Get even more of our inside scoops with our weekly Backchannel newsletter