Plus,Tesla hits new stock price records , and physicists have some tips for your next flight . It’s been a week; let’s get you caught up.
Want to receive this roundup as an email every week? Sign up here !
HeadlinesStories you might have missed from WIRED this week
- A $189,000 Aston Martin SUV vs. the vast, unrelenting desert.
Tesla is really worth a lot of money now.
- Why smaller urban distribution centers are the hot thing in real estate. (Hint: Amazon has something to do with it.)
- With the announcement of a $111.5 million investment from Hyundai and Kia, this week marked the arrival of Arrival , another startup dedicated to building electric delivery vans.
Physicists say this is the fastest way to board a plane.
Political Endorsement of the Week
The hip kids still on Facebook (who are you?) will no doubt be familiar with 180,000-member group NUMTOT: New Urbanist Memes For Transit-Oriented Teens. The group specializes in meme-y, pro-transit, sometimes toxic conversations about urbanism, and this week its moderators did a crazy thing and endorsed a presidential candidate: Bernie Sanders. The moderators cited Sanders’ approach to transportation and housing policy, and to social and economic welfare. Are young city transportation nerds a real constituency? We’ll find out.
Stat of the Week: 20%The share of California transportation emissions produced by trucks—even though they represent just 4 percent of the state’s vehicles. That’s according to the state’s Air Resources Board, which says the decentralized truck market, in which hundreds of thousands of companies and owner-operators own the vehicles in the state, makes their emissions especially hard to regulate.
News from elsewhere on the internet
- China continues to pour money into electric car companies. Is it setting up the next big trade showdown?
Speaking of trade showdowns: E-bikes have been officially excluded from tariffs related to the US trade war with China.
Also in China: There is lots of self-driving vehicle testing going on there.
US regulators say they are looking into Tesla driver’s complaints of unintended acceleration.
- New York City mulls a taxi driver bailout.
- Joby Aviation—which is working with Uber on flying taxis—announces a $590 million funding round, and says it will work with Toyota on an aircraft for flying ride-hail.
- Independent truckers will be exempted from AB 5, California’s new employee classification law (at least for now).
A new medical study finds a spike in scooter-related head injuries.
Taking a red eye flight? Here are your sleeping options (if you are flexible).
- Here's what directing a Star Wars movie is really like
- The mad scientist who wrote the book on how to hunt hackers
- How the US prepares its embassies for potential attacks
- When the transportation revolution hit the real world
- The psychedelic beauty of destroyed CDs
- 👁 Will AI as a field "hit the wall" soon ? Plus, the latest news on artificial intelligence
- ✨ Optimize your home life with our Gear team’s best picks, from robot vacuums to affordable mattresses to smart speakers