It's here, it's here! It's finally here! The trailer for the eighth and final season of Game of Thrones dropped this morning and hoo boy is it a doozy. So many fights, so many stare-downs, so much talk of death!
- Jason Kehe
New Game of Thrones Images Show ... Umm, the Furs Are Great
- Angela Watercutter
Game of Thrones ' Final Season Might Be … Funny?
- Angela Watercutter
Game of Thrones ' Final Season Has a Launch Date
Opening on a terrified-looking Arya Stark, the whole 100-second clip is a dark-hued montage setting up the final battle between the living and the dead Beyond the Wall. There are dragons, swords, Daenerys Targaryen and Jon Snow leading an army together like they're not related, and even a brief shot of Grey Worm and Missandei kissing. (Glad those two are still going strong.) Then, what we've all been waiting for: a giant army staring down the White Walkers and their army of wights. Technically all we see is the hoof of a reanimated horse, but close enough.
Pretty exciting, huh? Yes, and HBO knows it. Rather than just post the trailer on YouTube and letting fans devour it like crazed zombies, the cable network put it on Twitter with a very specific request: "Describe your emotions in a single GIF." Yes, HBO know the fanbase is fueled by memes, and this one plays right into their hands. As soon as the trailer went up, the mentions were full of images from The Office , Keeping Up With the Kardashians , Titanic , and so on. The base responded in kind.
Watch the trailer below, and feel free to drop HBO a GIF, if you are so moved. Game of Thrones is back April 14 for its final season.
- Hackers can snoop on synthetic DNA machines
- Want a foldable phone? Hold out for real glass
- The Air Force wants to give you its credit card
- Amazon wants brands to fight fake products themselves
- Anarchy, bitcoin, and murder in Acapulco
- 👀 Looking for the latest gadgets? Check out our latest buying guides and best deals all year round
- 📩 Get even more of our inside scoops with our weekly Backchannel newsletter