Sign Up TodaySign up for our Podcasts newsletter and never miss an episode of Get WIRED, Gadget Lab, and Geek's Guide to the Galaxy.This week, WIRED senior writer Andy Greenberg takes us inside another DxE operation, with an activist named Matt Johnson. Earlier this year, Johnson received a tip from a whistleblower that a pig farm in Iowa was about to attempt a ventilation shutdown—a process during which large clusters of livestock are killed at once by turning off airflow in a closed barn and pumping in heat, effectively suffocating the animals. It’s a procedure that is supposed to happen only as a last resort and as quickly and painlessly as possible. In this case, Covid-19 and the farm’s overpopulation of pigs had spurred its ventilation shutdown plans. But Johnson had a feeling that the process wouldn’t be anything close to painless euthanasia—and he was right.
While last week’s episode involved complicated VR camera rigs, this week’s episode covers how Johnson and his team used off-the-shelf technology and internet-enabled hidden cameras to capture the footage. We explore what this means for the future of surveillance, and the concept of sousveillance—using the same technology to surveil powerful entities instead of the other way around. It’s another episode you won’t want to miss.How to ListenYou can listen to Get WIRED through the audio player on this page, and subscribe for free wherever you listen to podcasts.
- TikTok and the evolution of digital blackface
- One IT guy’s spreadsheet-fueled race to restore voting rights
- Inside Citizen, the app that asks you to report on the crime next door
- How to outrun a dinosaur (just in case)
- Tips for staying cool without air conditioning
- 🎙️ Listen to Get WIRED , our new podcast about how the future is realized. Catch the latest episodes and subscribe to the 📩 newsletter to keep up with all our shows
- ✨ Optimize your home life with our Gear team’s best picks, from robot vacuums to affordable mattresses to smart speakers