In addition to his pacers and support crew, Kipchoge had the advantages of running on a fast course and wearing a pair of controversial shoes purported to shave minutes off a marathoner's overall time . All of which raises an important question: How much of Saturday's performance was down to Kipchoge—by most accounts the best marathoner of this generation, and perhaps of all time—and how much of it was down to everything else?In the video above, we put that question to physiologist Michael Joyner, a renowned expert in human performance who in 1991 hypothesized that a two-hour marathon was possible. In our interview, we discuss all the factors that came together to produce Kipchoge's historic time—and what it might take to see the two-hour barrier fall in open competition .
- The first smartphone war
- 7 cybersecurity threats that can sneak up on you
- “Forever chemicals” are in your popcorn—and your blood
- EVs fire up pyroswitches to cut risk of shock after a crash
- The spellbinding allure of Seoul's fake urban mountains
- 👁 Prepare for the deepfake era of video ; plus, check out the latest news on AI
- ✨ Optimize your home life with our Gear team’s best picks, from robot vacuums to affordable mattresses to smart speakers .