[email protected] quickly grew into what its collaborator, the nonprofit Planetary Society, has called its “most successful public participation project ever undertaken.” As WIRED reported in 2000, within months of [email protected]’s launch, more than 2.6 million people in 226 countries were volunteering their spare processing power to parse the mounds of data generated by alien-hunting radio telescopes.
Comic-Con International Canceled For 2020For the first time in five decades, there will be no Comic-Con International this year. Organizers announced on Friday that the event, which was set to be held in San Diego from July 23 to 26, will be canceled due to concerns over the coronavirus. People who purchased badges for this year’s events will receive instructions soon on how to get a refund or transfer their badges to 2021.Netflix Offering Free Documentaries on YouTubeLooking for some free documentaries to watch? Netflix is here to help. The streaming giant, which has offered free documentaries to teachers for years, announced last week that it will make a chunk of its original feature documentaries free to stream on YouTube to help parents looking to educate their families at home. The list of movies includes 13th, Knock Down the House, and the Explained and Our Planet series. Netflix is also offering educational resources here, and will stream Q&As with some of the creators in the future.
- The devastating decline of a brilliant young coder
- Amazon workers describe daily risks in a pandemic
- Stephen Wolfram invites you to solve physics
- Clever cryptography could protect privacy in contact-tracing apps
- Everything you need to work from home like a pro
- 👁 AI uncovers a potential Covid-19 treatment . Plus: Get the latest AI news
- 🏃🏽♀️ Want the best tools to get healthy? Check out our Gear team’s picks for the best fitness trackers , running gear (including shoes and socks ), and best headphones