All the while, very expensive and well-designed instruments are measuring things like wind speed and humidity, while Doppler radar takes what is essentially a flying CT scan of the hurricane. Every bit of data combines to give forecasters a highly granular understanding of the storm, and with that they can save lives on the ground.To learn more about how hurricanes form, how climate change might be affecting them, and how NOAA will be ready to fly into the most monster of monster storms, WIRED sat down with research meteorologist Jason Dunion in the video above.
- xkcd's Randall Munroe on how to mail a package (from space)
- Why “zero day” Android hacking now costs more than iOS attacks
- Free coding school! (But you'll pay for it later )
- This DIY implant lets you stream movies from inside your leg
- I replaced my oven with a waffle maker and you should, too
- 👁 How do machines learn ? Plus, read the latest news on artificial intelligence
- 🏃🏽♀️ Want the best tools to get healthy? Check out our Gear team’s picks for the best fitness trackers , running gear (including shoes and socks ), and best headphones .