Of course, that’s not all that happened in the privacy and security world this week. Every Saturday we round up the stories we didn’t break or report on in-depth, but which you should know about nonetheless. Click on the headlines to read the full articles, and be safe out there.Cambridge Analytica news cycle to realize that spying on people is wrong. Most platforms have a tool like this—Uber notably called its version "God View," and had similar privacy issues—but also strictly limit access to it. If you don't want your employees to misuse a tool that grants access to the private messages, passwords, and other user data on your social network, maybe also don't give it such an ominous name.Robert Mueller's report on Russian interference in the 2016 election , and Donald Trump's many flirtations with obstructing justice. If not, please do it now. Look, we'll even put it right here for you. Take your time!Apologies for the insistence. But it's important that you read it for yourself, because it lays things out as clearly as they'll ever be. While Mueller will testify before Congress on July 17, he has made abundantly clear that he's not going to go beyond what he already put in his report. And frankly, he shouldn't have to; the picture it paints speaks loudly, regardless of how attorney general William Barr chose to frame it .Google Drive for storage needs, but if you have data that needs an extra layer of protection, its new Personal Vault feature merits a closer look. It lets you put whatever data you choose behind a strong password and second-factor authentication, which can be either a numerical code or a biometric option. And mostly, please take this as a reminder to use strong multifactor authentication on everything, all the time! You're worth it!Akamai and reporters at ZDNet. Which doesn't, of course, the Internet of Things any less vulnerable. It just has a temporary reprieve.
- The infrastructure mess causing countless web outages
- The terrifying unknowns of an exotic invasive tick
- Change your life: bestride the bidet
- Fear, misinformation, and measles spread in Brooklyn
- A very fast spin through the hills in a hybrid Porsche 911
- 💻 Upgrade your work game with our Gear team’s favorite laptops , keyboards , typing alternatives , and noise-canceling headphones
- 📩 Want more? Sign up for our daily newsletter and never miss our latest and greatest stories