Rey's model seems at first like a more practical version of the latter; it offers at least the same reach, but can fold up into a sort of double-lightsaber, which presumably helps avoid scuffing up the floor with kyber crystal plasma. But couldn't you also just turn it off when you're not using it? And is there any benefit to having two parallel blades, other than slicing through something twice for some reason? Or if you hold it sideways you could slice it once in two different locations. Either way, seems like maybe overkill? When it's collapsed like that, do you have to hold both handles to effectively wield it? Seems tricky. And since each half of the lightsaber comes with a full-length hilt, it can't be that comfortable to carry around. Also results in a pretty wide middle section.
The WIRED Guide to Star WarsOK, yes, most of the attention has focused the fact that it's red, and she's wearing a dark cloak, so maybe she enlists with the dark side at some point in The Rise of Skywalker, or at least entertains the idea. But why waste time pondering her motivations and plot arcs—whoever her parents turn out to be , you're going to be disappointed—when you can nitpick the most purely fun moment in the two minutes, 11 seconds Disney doled out today?Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker comes out December 20. Hopefully, when it does, we'll get the latest in lightsaber innovation. Move fast and break Siths.
- How the nerds are reinventing pop culture
- A “NULL” license plate landed one hacker in ticket hell
- Crispr can help solve our looming food crisis —here's how
- Old gyrocopters could be the flying cars of the future
- The desperate race to neutralize a lethal superbug yeast
- 👁 Facial recognition is suddenly everywhere . Should you worry? Plus, read the latest news on artificial intelligence
- ✨ Optimize your home life with our Gear team’s best picks, from robot vacuums to affordable mattresses to smart speakers .
- #Star Wars
Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker hits theaters December 20.Why a new crop of electric SUV batteries come up short Is it OK to make your dog vegan ?Coding is for everyone—as long as you speak English Celebrating Tower Bridge, London's engineering marvel The body pullers of Raqqa, Syria👀 Looking for the latest gadgets?