Good day, and welcome to another edition of The Monitor , WIRED's pop culture extravaganza! OK, it's just a news roundup, but we still think it's pretty cool. Anyway, what's happening today? Welp, we now know who the villain is in the next James Bond movie. Also, Avengers: Endgame is coming for everyone's last coin, and Captain Marvel is pretty good at virtual reality.
Rami Malek Is Your New Bond Villain
The movie still doesn't have a title, but the 25th James Bond movie does have a villain: Rami Malek. His character is still unnamed, but the film's producer Barbara Broccoli did reveal a few details about the new film, including that it will begin with 007 on vacation in Jamaica. "[His] peace is short-lived when his old friend Felix Leiter from the CIA turns up asking for help," Broccoli said. "The mission to rescue a kidnapped scientist turns out to be far more treacherous than expected, leading Bond onto the trail of a mysterious villain armed with dangerous new technology." So, would it be weird to just name Malek's villain Mr. Robot and call it a day?
Avengers: Endgame Will Make All the Money
Box office predictions for this weekend's Avengers: Endgame are in and they're massive. It's already made $169 million globally, and experts predict it could bring in more than $800 million—$260 million in the US alone. Needless to say, if you don't already have tickets, they might be hard to find.
Here's a Trailer for HBO's Deadwood Movie
Looks like law, order, and electricity are coming to Deadwood. Oh, also Hearst is a senator now! Deadwood: The Movie hits HBO on May 31.
And Now, Captain Marvel Doing VR
Let's end on a goofy note, with Brie Larson in virtual reality goggles. The Captain Marvel actress stopped by The Tonight Show and while she was there, Jimmy Fallon decided to play a game—a VR game. Using VR laser swords, they competed to see who could slice the most targets. Naturally, Carol Danvers won.
- Everything you need to know about open source software
- Kitty Hawk, flying cars, and the challenges of “going 3D”
- Tristan Harris vows to fight “human downgrading ”
- A “blockchain bandit” guesses private keys to score
- Move over, San Andreas: There’s a new fault in town
- 🏃🏽♀️ Want the best tools to get healthy? Check out our Gear team's picks for the best fitness trackers , running gear (including shoes and socks ), and best headphones .
- 📩 Get even more of our inside scoops with our weekly Backchannel newsletter