Spider-Man: Far From Home Has $580 Million Opening WeekendIn the midst of a kinda bleak summer movie-wise, Spider-Man: Far From Home just steamrolled through the box office, bringing in $185 million domestically over the long Fourth of July weekend. Globally, the movie has made more than $580 million over the six-day weekend. So, yes, Spidey just made more than half a billion dollars—not bad for a high school kid from Queens.
After Stranger Things, Netflix Vows to Cut Down on Onscreen SmokingFollowing a recent report that smoking in television shows like Stranger Things could put youth at risk, Netflix has vowed to cut down in cigarette use onscreen. "Going forward, all new projects that we commission with ratings of TV-14 or below for series or PG-13 or below for films, will be smoking and e-cigarette free—except for reasons of historical or factual accuracy," the streaming giant said in a statement to CNN.
Disney Is Dropping All Kinds of TrailersNot to be out-shined by its child, Marvel parent company Disney just dropped a pair of trailers for its own films. The trailer for the new live-action remake of Mulan, which hits theaters in the spring of 2020, and the trailer for Maleficent: Mistress of Evil, which drops October 18, are both below.
- Apollo 11: Mission (out of) control
- The simple way Apple and Google let abusers stalk victims
- Notifications are stressing us out. How did we get here ?
- One boy’s dream vacation to see construction equipment
- How nine people built an illegal $5 million Airbnb empire
- 🏃🏽♀️ Want the best tools to get healthy? Check out our Gear team’s picks for the best fitness trackers , running gear (including shoes and socks ), and best headphones .
- 📩 Get even more of our inside scoops with our weekly Backchannel newsletter