Turn on late-night TV on almost any night of the week and you'll find one: a President Trump impression. Seth Meyers does one on Late Night, so does Stephen Colbert on The Late Show. Saturday Night Live has had a rotating door of comedians impersonating the president. But which one is the best? Which one nails it?
Alec Baldwin’s Trump Impression Is a Technical Marvel
Jennifer Lawrence's Russian Accent in Red Sparrow Wasn't Great
Batman Is Only Kinda Good at Crime Scene Investigation
Actually, maybe none of them.
In the latest episode of WIRED's Technique Critique series, dialect coach Erik Singer analyzed a series of actors portraying US presidents and zeroed in on three comedians—Jimmy Fallon, Taran Killam, and Darrell Hammond— who have taken on Trump. His final word? "For a subtler, more multidimensional, more accurate, integrated, and authentic version of Trump the human being, I think we may have to wait a while." Welp, there you have it. (It's worth noting, though, Singer does think Alec Baldwin's Trump impression on SNL is pretty spot-on .)
Trump, however, is still a relatively new president, and one that—so far—only comedians have really dug into. Movie and TV actors, on the other hand, have spent years portraying US presidents with much better results. And among those, Singer has found some gems, including Dennis Quaid's Bill Clinton impression in The Special Relationship, Josh Brolin's George W. Bush in W., and Greg Kinnear's John F. Kennedy in The Kennedys miniseries.
Want more? Watch Singer's full analysis in the video above. For more Technique Critique, go to WIRED's new streaming channel on Roku, Apple TV, Android TV, or Amazon Fire TV.
- What it’s like to be thrown in jail for posting on Facebook
- Zodiac ascending: astrology startups reach for the stars
- These brainy bikes do everything but ride themselves
- In the face of danger, we turn to surveillance. Should we ?
- Trump’s casinos couldn’t make Atlantic City great again
- 👀 Looking for the latest gadgets? Check out our latest buying guides and best deals all year round
- 📩 Want more? Sign up for our daily newsletter and never miss our latest and greatest stories