If you buy something using links in our stories, we may earn a commission. This helps support our journalism. Learn more .
The Galaxy S21 Ultra Has the Best CamerasSamsung's Galaxy S21 Ultra (8/10, WIRED Recommends ) has been our favorite high-end camera phone for the better part of a year, largely because its camera system is unrivaled in the US. There are two telephoto zoom cameras on this phone, one 3X and one 10X optical zoom. That means you can zoom to objects really far away and still get spectacular results, something that's still not possible on most smartphones. Those two cameras are joined by an ultrawide and a 108-megapixel main sensor, both of which capture very pleasing images. This remains the ultimate camera phone, though we'll have to wait to see if Google's upcoming Pixel 6 and Pixel 6 Pro can retake the crown.
There are a few downsides. There's no MicroSD card slot, so if you plan to take a lot of 8K video (stick to HD or 4K), the 128 gigabytes of storage will fill up. It's also a large phone and still quite expensive, even at a discount.Special offer for Gear readers: Get a 1-year subscription to WIRED for $5 ($25 off) . This includes unlimited access to WIRED.com and our print magazine (if you'd like). Subscriptions help fund the work we do every day.
- 📩 The latest on tech, science, and more: Get our newsletters !
- Rain boots, turning tides, and the search for a missing boy
- Better data on ivermectin is finally on the way
- A bad solar storm could cause an “internet apocalypse”
- New York City wasn't built for 21st-century storms
- 9 PC games you can play forever
- 👁️ Explore AI like never before with our new database
- 🎮 WIRED Games: Get the latest tips, reviews, and more
- 🏃🏽♀️ Want the best tools to get healthy? Check out our Gear team’s picks for the best fitness trackers , running gear (including shoes and socks ), and best headphones