If you’ve been following tech news over the past several weeks, then you’re probably already up to speed on what Samsung’s planning to announce at its Galaxy Unpacked event today. Thanks to a whole lot of leaks online , it’s safe to expect at least two new models of a flagship phone, a new wearable or two, and maybe even a closer look at Samsung's bendy phone concept.
The show kicks off at 11 AM Pacific (2 PM Eastern) at the Bill Graham Civic Auditorium in San Francisco. You can watch the whole thing on Samsung's website or in the video player at the top of this page.
Even if you’re over all the phone launch fanfare , there are a few reasons you might want to tune in. For one, it’s the 10th anniversary of Samsung’s Galaxy phone, which helped propel Samsung into the top spot in worldwide phone shipments. You can expect Samsung to celebrate the birthday with some flair—which, for Samsung, sometimes veers directly into weird .
Galaxy Unpacked should also offer a glimpse of Samsung’s road map into the future. The event takes place at a time when the smartphone market is “a mess,” as one report recently put it. Global smartphone shipments declined for the first time ever in 2018, falling back to around 1.4 billion shipments for the year, according to research firm IDC. The economy is part of it, but so is the fact that consumers are holding onto their devices longer. That makes it harder for smartphone makers to move the needle, forcing them to try to come up with innovations that will actually spur upgrades.
In Samsung's case, those innovations could range from a a few incremental upgrades to the Galaxy line to phone that folds in half. Tune in at 11 AM to see it live, or check back on wired.com for coverage of all the news as it unfolds.
- My life online—without all the metrics
- Why a grape turns into a fireball in a microwave
- What happens if Russia cuts itself off from the internet
- Ride with the guy who builds roller coasters in his yard
- The Redditors who reclaimed r/FatPussy (and other subs)
- 👀 Looking for the latest gadgets? Check out our latest buying guides and best deals all year round
- 📩 Want more? Sign up for our daily newsletter and never miss our latest and greatest stories