Weather conditions have to be calm from the East Coast of the US all the way to Ireland for the mission to launch. This ensures that in the event of an abort during the launch, the crew can splash down in the Atlantic and be safely recovered by rescue teams. The Demo-2 mission is the last major test before NASA certifies SpaceX’s capsule for human spaceflight , and SpaceX isn’t taking any chances. The backup launch date is Saturday, May 30 at 3:22 pm Eastern time, and will be livestreamed by both NASA and SpaceX .
WIRED will update this story as we learn more.
- What happened when I switched from Mac to Windows
- The Nigerian fraudsters ripping off the unemployment system
- The relentless startup fast-tracking Ford’s self-driving cars
- Social distancing has become the norm. What have we learned ?
- The movies and shows to rewatch when you crave normalcy
- 👁 What is intelligence, anyway? Plus: Get the latest AI news
- ✨ Optimize your home life with our Gear team’s best picks, from robot vacuums to affordable mattresses to smart speakers