Stories you might have missed about holiday travel
- What happened when one writer tried to opt out of facial recognition at the airport.
- “What would it take to make the US a transcontinental Whoville, where the only thing louder than the roar of efficient travel is the constant caroling?”
- Why building bigger roads actually makes traffic worse .
- Waze gave drivers sneaky ways to avoid traffic. Now it wants drivers to make friends .
- What does your Amazon Prime addiction have to do with traffic ? “Today’s fast-delivery system is set up for customer convenience, not for the city’s transportation system.”
- Flight delayed? Here’s what you need to know to get some of your $$ back .
- You just might be able to take a public bus to the hiking trail this summer.
- What the tourism industry might learn from your friendly neighborhood traffic engineer.
- Beachgoers stuck in traffic vs. Stonehenge .
Festive Public Transit Blooper of the WeekEveryone wants to get into the celebratory July Fourth spirit, even San Francisco’s Municipal Transportation Authority. On Monday, SFTMA reported its Muni trains were experiencing a delay because of … a balloon, which got stuck in a tunnel. It seems the agency never succeeded in capturing the air-filled delight, but did eventually return its trains to regular service.
Stat of the Week
48.9 millionThe number of Americans expected to travel for the July 4 holiday, according to AAA—a record! Low gas prices, a strong economy, low unemployment, and rising disposable incomes are convincing more Americans than ever to hit the road, AAA says.
In the RearviewEssential stories from WIRED’s canonIf you’re really super serious about going somewhere this holiday, consider WIRED’s guide to time travel .
- A device to detect “aggression” in schools often misfires
- Disney's new Lion King is the VR-fueled future of cinema
- Google Photos hacks to tame your picture overload
- It's time to switch to a privacy browser
- YouTube's “shitty robot” queen made a Tesla pickup truck
- 📱 Torn between the latest phones? Never fear—check out our iPhone buying guide and favorite Android phones
- 📩 Hungry for even more deep dives on your next favorite topic? Sign up for the Backchannel newsletter